Facial scarring can have a tremendous impact on the life of an accident victim. Most patients experience varying degrees of emotional distress after sustaining facial disfigurement, and their body consciousness may affect their career, relationships, and sense of well-being in general. If you or your loved one recently sustained facial scars from a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
Call a Dallas car accident lawyer at the Law Office of Julie Johnson, PLLC at 214-290-8001 for a free consultation.
How might facial scarring impact an accident victim?
Because a person’s face plays such a large role in his or her physical appearance, facial scarring and disfigurement can have a multitude of mental health effects and a massive social impact on victims. There are numerous variables that influence victims’ adaptation to scarring, so it is hard to predict how a patient will fare.
In a 2010 issue of Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery, researchers presented some of the psychological effects that facial trauma patients often experience. Some of the effects on patients include:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Anxiety, depression, and hostility
- Body image issues
- Social withdrawal and isolation
- Increased risk for substance abuse and alcoholism
- Nightmares and sleep problems
- Irritability, tension, stress, increased startle response
- Marital problems
- Occupational difficulties
- Lower quality of life
Can I recover damages for facial scarring from an accident?
If your accident was the result of another party’s negligence and you experienced effects like these related to your facial scarring, be sure to consider them when seeking compensation. This includes damages for the emotional, social, and psychological effects of your injuries.
You should discuss your case with an attorney to determine if you qualify for compensation and to calculate the value of your claim. Some of the damages you may be able to collect include those for losses such as:
- Medical bills
- Current and future surgeries, including cosmetic surgeries and medically necessary surgeries and procedures
- The effects on your earning capacity
- Emotional distress and disorders
- The effects on your marriage and other relationships
- Mental health treatments
- Your overall reduced qualify of life
Call Julie Johnson for Help after a Car Accident
To discuss your legal options for recovery after sustaining facial injuries from your car wreck, contact the Law Office of Julie Johnson, PLLC. We can review your case, explain what steps to take, and help you recover compensation for your physical, financial, and emotional harms. Contact us at 214-290-8001 to get started.