Commercial vehicles are designed for commercial or business purposes, transportation of goods and passengers.
- Semis or tractor-trailers
- Vans for businesses
- Delivery vehicles
- Any other type of vehicle that is used for business purposes
Commercial vehicle accidents hold a higher risk of injury compared to a passenger vehicle. That’s because these are typically bigger, bulkier and heavier vehicles. Commercial autos can weight anywhere between 10,000 to 100,000 pounds.
Even when the vehicles are smaller like delivery vehicles or vans, you have more options for compensation because a commercial establishment is involved.
What do I do after an accident with a commercial vehicle?
The first step to take after a commercial truck accident is to get medical help for your injuries. Once you have ensured that you and all the occupants of your vehicle have received treatment for your wounds, begin the process of documenting important evidence from the scene of the accident.
The following is a list of commonly used pieces of evidence.
- Photographs of the damage to your car
- Medical records about the injuries to occupants of your vehicle
- Photos of the accident scene
- Photos and notes on skid marks
- Photos and expert testimony on the position of the commercial vehicle after the accident
Note down all of these important details, including whether the commercial vehicle was speeding at the time or whether the driver was busy with some other activity just before the accident like using a cell phone. Get the contact information of witnesses at the scene, including their names, addresses and telephone numbers.
Under federal law, commercial vehicles are required to carry a minimum amount of insurance that can cover bodily injury and property damage. Typically, the mandated minimum insurance requirements for commercial vehicles are much higher than for personal vehicles.
Get in Touch with a Lawyer
However, commercial companies in Dallas will take steps to protect their interests after an accident. Their legal team will immediately get to work to planning challenges to your truck accident claim. For this reason, it’s important that you take steps to protect your rights after an accident, and get in touch with a trucking accident attorney immediately.
If you were injured in an accident involving a commercial truck, tractor, tanker, delivery vehicle, Hazmat truck or any other commercial vehicle in Dallas, discuss your legal options for compensation with a trucking accident lawyer. Call 214-290-8001 to speak with Dallas trucking accident lawyer, attorney Julie Johnson, or fill out the online form, and schedule an initial evaluation of your claim.
Latest posts by Julie Johnson (see all)
- What Is Needed to Win a Car Accident Lawsuit in Texas? - April 16, 2019
- Johnson & Johnson Talcum Lawsuit Verdict Stands at $4.69 Billion - February 8, 2019
- Recent Tragedy Demonstrates Just How Dangerous Construction Sites Can Be - October 18, 2018