Before a car accident in Dallas, you were healthy, happy, and active. However, your accident caused a vertebral fracture or herniated disc and now your doctor is recommending spinal fusion surgery. Car accident lawyer Julie Johnson can help you recover compensation for your injuries and medical bills.
What is spinal fusion surgery?
The spine is made up of 24 vertebrae stacked on top of each other that protect the spinal column. Between each vertebra is a disc, which acts as a “shock absorber.” If one of those discs is injured either through some type of degenerative disease or because of a sudden severe impact such as a car accident, the whole spinal column can be affected.
Movement between the discs or misalignment can result in severe pain and impingement of the spinal nerves. Spinal fusion surgery may be called for when there is:
- Instability in the spinal column as a result of a vertebra fracture and inability to support the column appropriately.
- Weakness or instability in the spinal column as a result of the impact itself and any residual shifting or misalignment.
- Pain or weakness as a result of a herniated disc.
In spinal fusion surgery, doctors limit any motion between the vertebrae by joining the vertebrae to stabilize them and prevent further motion or instability. Recovery can be long, from six to 12 months, and patients often have to wear braces during the healing process. In some cases, the first surgery is unsuccessful and additional surgery is required.
What happens after surgery?
Many patients require rehabilitation and physical therapy during the healing period which can be both expensive and leave you or your loved one unable to work or even move comfortably during this time. This can result in significant costs in addition to lost wages. If the injured person’s job was previously a physically demanding one, it can mean that they will need to reinvent themselves and potentially have to completely change careers.
These costs can devastate a car accident victim’s life. You may be eligible for compensation for damages, such as medical bills, current and future lost wages, expenses, and pain and suffering.
A car accident attorney at the Law Office of Julie Johnson, PLLC can help you understand all the potential recoveries you may be entitled to. Call us today at 214-290-8001 or fill out an online contact form for a free consultation.
Latest posts by Julie Johnson (see all)
- Motorcycle Accident Claims Life of Grand Prairie ISD Superintendent - September 3, 2019
- Trinity Metro Bus Accident Results in Death, Injuries - August 20, 2019
- Families Face the Unthinkable When Crane Unexpectedly Collapses at Dallas Apartment Complex - July 30, 2019